At Balnarring Primary School, we want to help make this move as smooth and positive as possible. We understand that the kind of experiences children have as they become familiar with their new surroundings, routines and procedures can affect their adjustment to school. Positive experiences with good collaborative partnerships between families, early years’ educators and school staff help to get the children off to an excellent start!
Our Step into Foundation transition program aims to prepare children for their new learning environment and to build positive relationships with families.
We support our Foundation students in their Step into Foundation transition to school with a comprehensive program:
- School tours led by our year 6 student leaders
- Information night for parents
- Step into Foundation Program. Four sessions enabling children to become familiar with the school.
- Visits by teachers to Pre-Schools.
- The exchange of information between pre-school and school teachers.
- Orientation Day.
- Letters from teachers to students.
As a result of our ‘Step Into Foundation’ program, when the children finally start school, they will have already met their Foundation teacher and be familiar with the school. Their teacher will be very aware of supporting the children and their families at this time, as will all of the staff.
To help with settling in, there will be:
- Half day attendance for the first week
- Different play and lunch times for the first three weeks
- No school on a Wednesday until after Labour Day in March